Guide to Choosing the Right
Thickness of Business Card
The thickness of business card matters in networking and in making first impressions. The right thickness will help you achieve your goal in marketing your brand. In this guide, we’ll discuss some factors to consider in choosing the right thickness. By the end of this blog, you’ll know how to design your card based on its thickness and weight.
Table of Contents
Why Business Card Thickness Matters
In today’s digital world of online networking “Is a business card still relevant?” Yes! A business card is still an effective tool for leaving a lasting impression. When designing a business card, the main attraction is the design. Yet, another significant factor to consider is the thickness of business card. Let us discuss why this may affect your company’s image:
Comparing Different Card Thickness
- Standard (14-16 pt): This thickness sets the balance between durability and cost-effectivity.
- Premium (18-20 pt): For business cards that need a luxurious look and feel opt for thicker cards. This may be more expensive, but it is effective in making a lasting impression.
- Ultra-Thick (24+pt): This thickness shows luxury and exclusivity on business cards.
Card Thickness According to Nationality
- Japan: Presentation – Japanese cards are thicker which measures around 0.3 mm – 0.4 mm.
- United States: Sophistication – The business card thickness varies from 0.25 mm to 0.35 mm. Americans tend to favor thicker cards that focus on the design and content.
- China: Thick – Chinese business cards feature Chinese and English content. These cards’ usual thickness range from 0.35mm to 0.5 mm.
- Europe: Variations – In Europe, there is a significant variation in business card thickness across countries. German business cards are thicker around 0.3mm to 0.4mm. French business cards however often prefer thinner cards that measure 0.25 mm to 0.35mm
- India: Traditional – Traditional Indian business cards tend to be thicker, the usual size is around 0.4 mm to 0.6 mm. Additionally, Indian business cards feature a mix of intricate designs and vibrant colors.
- Middle East: Luxury – Business cards in the Middle East are thicker, often exceeding 0.5mm. This thickness symbolizes opulence, quality, and the importance of personal relationships in business.
Metal vs Paper Card Thickness
Metal Business Card
Paper Business Card
Here’s the business card thickness chart for you to see more about the difference:
Why Business Card Weight Matters
A card that weighs feels more essential. It conveys a sense of quality and professionalism that leaves a positive impression.
The paper weight of your business card can also affect the print quality. The heavier the stock the better the surface printing. This allows for sharper text and vibrant colors.
Comparing Different Card Weights
Paper Material Weights:
- Lightweight (90-110gsm): Ideal for mass-produced, budget-friendly business cards.
- Medium Weight (250-350gsm): The most popular weight for paper cards that is durable and looks professional.
- Heavyweight (400gsm+): Offers a high-end feel that is reserved for luxury cards.
Metal Material Weights:
- Lightweight (0.3mm-0.5mm): Thin, flexible, and suitable for minimalist designs.
- Medium Weight (0.6mm-0.8mm): Offers a balance between durability and weight.
- Heavyweight (1mm+): Provides a solid durability that lasts.
How to Choose the GSM of
Your Business Card
- Consider Your Brand: The GSM should align with your brand. For a more approachable and informal brand, it is best to opt for a lighter GSM. But, for brands that are in a creative field, thicker cards are perfect.
- Think About Usage: What do you want recipients to do with your business cards? If you intend to keep your card for a long period, a higher GSM will ensure it lasts. A lower GSM may serve for disposable or event-specific cards.
- Test Different GSMs: Don’t be afraid to ask for samples or print a small batch with several GSM options. This enables you to feel the texture and see how the pattern appears on various cardstock.
- Consider Your Budget: Higher GSM paper is usually more expensive. When finalizing your decision, consider your financial limits.
- Consult a Professional: It is best to consult a professional printer or designer. They can offer help in choosing the most appropriate GSM for your branding.
How to Design the Business Card Depending on Thickness and Weight
Visiting Card Thickness:
- The thickness of your card should convey a sense of quality and professionalism.
- The higher the GSM the thicker and sturdier the card will be.
- A thicker cardstock tends to be more durable and is less likely to crease or tear.
Business Cards with Painted Edges:
- Painted edges involve adding a colorful edge to cards to make them striking.
- The painted edge should compliment your brand colors or add a pop of color that sets your card apart from the rest.
- The paint to be applied should still maintain professionalism.
Design Tips for Different Thicknesses:
- Consider the thickness of your cardstock when designing your business card. Thicker cards may allow for more intricate design elements.
- For thinner cards, focus on minimalist designs to prevent them from feeling flimsy.
- Ensure that the text and graphics on your card are legible, regardless of the thickness.
Classic Business Card vs
Luxury Business Card
Classic Business Cards
- Standard Thickness: Classic business card standard thickness ranges from 14-16 pt
- Affordability: For budget-conscious professionals classic cards are an excellent choice.
- Versatility: Classic cards offer limitless design possibilities.
- Accepted: Classic cards fit in most cardholders and wallets.
Luxury Business Cards
- Enhanced Thickness: Luxury business cards are thicker than standard ones. They range from 32pt to 50pt, which amounts to 0.032-0.050 inches or 800-1250 microns. This thickness is comparable to that of a credit card.
- Premium Materials: Specialty papers, wood, and metal are some of the materials used.
- Embossing and Foiling: Luxury cards can be embossed, debossed, stamped, and UV spot.
- Memorability: Luxury business cards make a statement and are memorable. They can leave a lasting impression on clients and potential partners.
- A regular credit card is approximately 0.30 inch or 0.76mm thick.
- Traditional or classic business cards range from 0.014 – 0.015 inches thick, making them thinner.
- Luxury business cards are thicker than credit cards, ranging in thickness from 0.032 to 0.050 inches.